Pages

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Doggie Buttons

This weekend I asked Scott if I could take Penny, our pug, to get her ears pierced (back off, PETA, it was a joke).  That way, people would stop referring to her with gender mistaken nicknames.  We had a plumber come to the house to fix our sink and he kept referring to Penny as "little guy."  I know that if someone kept calling me "little guy," I would find it quite offensive. It can't be good for Penny's self-image, especially since her chest hair has been growing in even thicker recently.  

Anyway, back to the ear piercing remark... Scott responded to my comment with "why stop with her ears?  Let's get her belly button pierced, too."

Silence.

"She has a belly button?"

"Duh," said Scott.

I mean it makes sense.  I understand the biological need for umbilical cords, and I know puppies are born with them.  However, what exactly does a dog's belly button look like?

I immediately researched the issue, both in person and on Google.  I set Penny on her back and stared at her belly.  I squinted as if trying to find the hidden picture in a furry Magic Eye book, but all I saw were patches of fur and a couple of nipples.

Do YOU know where my belly button is?
Me neither!
Google informed me that it's likely I can only find my dog's belly button by feel, because it is scar tissue under the skin and isn't visible to the naked eye.

Doggie belly buttons are the braille of navels.  How cool is that?

Anyway, if you want to learn more, check out this article from Perfect Puppy Care.  

Admit it.  You're intrigued.

No comments:

Post a Comment