Pages

Thursday, September 13, 2012

7 Quick Takes Friday (6)

Conversion Diary Link

(1)

Last weekend was Marshall's first home game of the season.  My niece, Lola, sat with us and had a blast.  I tried to teach her to say "go Herd!"  Instead, she yells "go, go," which also works.  As long as she isn't yelling "Let's go Mountaineers," I'm happy.  My brother will strongly disagree.




















(2)

I saw a commercial for a WSAZ (local news station) travel contest and it suddenly dawned on me that I don't enter nearly enough contests.  There is plenty of good loot up for grabs if you look for it.  This week I decided to keep my eyes and ears open for any and all contests.  An ad for the "IHeartRadio Music Festival" came on the radio, so I texted the keyword to enter.  I went to WSAZ's website to enter their travel contest.  I put my business card in a drawing for free lunch at a local restaurant.  Tickets for the 2013 CMAs?  Entered.  Trip to Vienna courtesy of the Travel Channel?  Sure!  $25,000 dream trip from the DoubleTree?  Why not?

Then I discovered that there is a large group of people who spend hours each day "sweepstaking" (see this Slate.com article on point).  Some of these people even think they have figured out a way to beat the odds in these contests depending, for example, on what kind of envelope they use.  Others mail their entries out while on vacation, in order to enter the contest from multiple mailing addresses.  How can I possibly compete with these pros?  I think I'll go back to being sweepstakes apathetic.

(3)

I received this in the mail a few days ago.  Obviously the word "fragile" doesn't mean anything anymore.  I think the postman actually dropkicked this particular package to my doorstop.


(4)

Scott and I started a fantasy football league with some friends.  It is a free league that was put together at the last minute, but it still keeps things interesting for me on Sundays.  I named my team "The Southern Jennatools," based on a cute nickname my brother gave me when I was in elementary school.

No one is taking this league seriously, which I completely understand, so I tried to liven things up with a little trash-talking to my opponent, Jeff.  This is the conversation that ensued (it really got me fired up about the game):


(5)

I absolutely LOVE wedge salad with bleu cheese.  I could eat it every day.  Especially if it has bacon crumbles.   Mmmmm....bacon crumbles...

Art in food form.
(6)

My step-sister's daughter, Haylee, can hold her bottle with her feet.  I find this both impressive and adorable and wanted to share:


(7)

Yesterday was Barboursville's Fall Fest parade.  It included plenty of firetrucks, candy-throwing, homemade floats, sketchy carnival rides, and overpriced games.  I had a great time, even when Lola decided to stick a chewed-up cherry Starburst in my hair.

Disney World parades have nothing on the Fall Fest.
Lola and her daddy eating candy and watching the parade.
No festival would be complete without
the winning of a goldfish.
I hope everyone has a great weekend!!

1 comment:

  1. If you want to read more about sweepstaking, read "The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio." It's a really great read!

    ReplyDelete