Pages

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Thoughts that Keep Me Up at Night

I have been blessed with the ability to fall asleep quickly.  Rarely do I lie in bed hoping to fall asleep and stressing out because I can't.  Before you get too jealous of my narcoleptic capabilities, however, know that I often wake up throughout the night consumed by worry about complete and utter nonsense.

About a month ago I woke up with an insatiable thirst for knowledge about the Concorde Jet.  I couldn't believe that I knew so little about it, so I got out of bed, retrieved my computer, and consulted Wikipedia.  The Concorde cut the flight time from New York to Paris from 8 hours to 3 1/2 hours.  The Concorde's only fatal crash occurred in July 2000 in France.  This crash coupled with economic concerns (the flights were hella expensive) are thought to have led to the Concorde's demise.  Interesting factoid: The Concorde's first post-crash passenger flight occurred on September 11, 2001, landing right before the World Trade Center attacks.  But, I digress...

Satisfied that I could now hold my own in a conversation about supersonic passenger aviation, I went back to sleep.  But my eyes quickly popped back open.  Concorde Jets were criticized for the loud noise they make while breaking the sound barrier.  But...dare I admit....yes....it's true...I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WHAT SONIC BOOM SOUNDS LIKE!  I quickly got back out of bed and this time consulted YouTube.  After watching multiple videos of jets breaking the sound barrier, I was finally able to fall asleep.

A few nights ago it happened again.  I was woken by what can only be described as gut-wrenching regret.  I could feel my pulse racing as I realized that I am not... I repeat...not... a Delta SkyMiles member.  

I know what you're thinking.

"Jenna, you've flown Delta quite often, so why had it never crossed your mind to sign up as a frequent flyer?"  And you're right.  There should be some sort of crime against this level of stupidity.  I immediately grabbed my computer at 3 a.m. and signed up for Delta SkyMiles.  This, naturally, made me reflect on all of the hotel rewards programs I have not joined.  That is how on September 17, 2012, I also became a Hilton HHonors Rewards Member.

My point is, the next time you have trouble falling asleep at night, soothe yourself with the thought that it could be worse.

You could be completely and indisputably crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment